Shipping and yachting registration in Malta has been on the rise in the past few years, and this is mainly due to the island’s strategic location. In fact, nowadays Malta boasts the largest shipping register in Europe, and one of the largest ship registers in the world.
Malta’s tax incentives are also important. Vessels in Malta can be registered both for commercial and leisure purposes.
When Malta became Independent in 1964, ship registration gradually became the main engine of growth in Malta’s maritime sector. In the past 15 years, Malta not only managed to double its register and tonnage, but also overtake Greece and Cyprus, to become Europe’s largest.
Malta’s register includes:
- Oil tankers
- Cruise ships
- LNG carriers
- RORO ships
- Bulk carriers
There are several reasons why there is an increase in choosing to fly the Maltese flag. Amongst the advantages of registering your ship or yacht under the Maltese flag, there are:
- Tax exemptions or minimal tax obligations,
- Low company formation and vessel registration costs,
- No restrictions on the nationality of the ship owner,
- No restrictions on the nationality of the captain, officers and crew.
- Excellent Yacht Marinas
- Shipbuilding and repair services
- Cargo port facilities
- Finance, law and insurance facilities
Erremme offers various services that include the registration and maintenance of vessels and yachts under the Maltese Shipping Register and the guidance of the Malta Maritime Authority.